Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pan Seared Cilantro Crusted Cod with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes and Caramelized Onions

Day 3:

Ew. Sorry Bobby Flay. That recipe was nasty.  And really hard to make. 

I started with the caramelized onions. Not too bad, Balsamic Vinegar, Thyme, and Onions. Good good.

Potatoes boiling away.

Then came the fish...  (I'm going to take a moment here and apologize for my lack of writing tonight. I spent a good two hours writing up a self-assessment for my employee review today.  I felt like I was back in school cramming in that final essay before a test.)

I'm going to start by admitting that MAYBE I should have researched what it means to "pan sear" and how a white fish covered in green leaves can become golden.  Mine never did. It went from this:


To this:



(Ok, fine. I realize that there were probably a few steps more between the first picture and the plating... But Everything was just too fast to take time to shoot a few.  That and it isn't even a real plate picture. B got to it before I could blink.  He made up for it though!)

In his defense, I wouldn't even try it...

But the night wasn't a total bust! I got to start our favorite cupcakes for B's Birthday on Thursday: Guiness Chocolate Cupcakes with Jameson Ganache filling and Bailey's Buttercream Frosting!!!!! Seriously, the best thing ever.  (Courtesy of The Smitten Kitchen)



1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you sould stick to fabulous & rustic to start with? :)

    ReplyDelete