Thursday, November 15, 2012

And so it begins.

Okay folks, today is the day. I'm starting my first DIY projects this evening after work. On the agenda: Creating my own wedding photos mounted to canvas. This project I'm not too worried about. I'm going to do this one during drying time for my main project of the day. I'm taking a fairly non-descript dresser, courtesy of my husband, and "upcycling" it to be a bit more unique. I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone that happens to stumble across my little web journal... Pictures to follow!

Wish me luck folks. Or more acurately, patience. I don't have much and I think I'll be needing it to get this done properly! :)

So, it took me a grand total of 2.5 hours to get the supplies that I needed for my projects. So I didn't get started until a little after 7 p.m. and didn't accomplish nearly as much as I would have hoped...



This is what I started with. Pretty boring and used mainly as a TV stand until now. I have decided to doll it up a bit which is why I'm doing this while Brian is out of town... ;)
 
I have been trolling Pinterest for a few months now and have finally taken the plunge after finding a site that described how to paint furniture without sanding first. Any corners that I can cut, I'm all about it. I found a really cool product, Zinsser's Cover Stain. It worked like a charm and was dry in about a half hour. Note, it doesn't wash out of paint brushes, so either use one that you no longer care about or invest in some paint thinner/removal product.

                                                           Step 2 looked like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment