Saturday, November 17, 2012

Day 3 of changes

I have put way more time into this "project" than I had thought I would. So far I have invested a total of  13 hours, and I'm not done yet. I guess  shouldn't be that surprised, after all, I'm giving a face life to three pieces of furniture!

I finally choked down my nerves and got to the decoupaging step of adding some character to the drawers of a previously boring dresser. After the first drawer was papered, I was hooked! Its going to look better than I had anticipated!!










It took about three hours, but all the drawers are done! (Minus drawer pulls, which I have yet to locate the perfect option.) I finished the drawers off with Mod Podge's Pearlized Finish Spray. They have an amazing shimmer that is perfectly subtle. I had the good sense to take the drawers outside for the spraying step. 


I LOVE the look of all the drawers together in the dresser. I have been fighting with whether or not to leave the green on the entire dresser or to finish it with the crackle medium and cream top coat.



After discussing it with my mother, who has GREAT design sense (her home looks like a feature in a magazine, without the price tag of a feature home) I have decided to complete the dresser as originally planned. Her point, which finalized the decision for me, was that the green is bordering on over-whelming the patterns on the drawers. So, I have my work cut out for me tomorrow.

Also, I have been working on the bed frame and reading chair for the bedroom. (Please forgive the state of the box spring, we have a young Jack Russell who likes renovation projects of her own. I put a picture of her most recent project/statement below.)




This is the base coat for the bed, it will also be undergoing the crackled/weathered effect. Brian had a minor panic attack when he came upstairs and saw the pink... :)
And, as promised, Finlay's DIY project. I swear I thought she was downstairs chewing on a bone while I worked upstairs.






No comments:

Post a Comment